Career Transition Specialist (CTS) at The Foundation Schools is responsible for expanding the career program including career-awareness activities, assessing student interest in various careers and helping students build the skills needed to obtain competitive work and other work-based learning experiences. The CTS will work closely with the teachers to carry out student’s individual transition plans and be able to link the class work with specific work experiences. The CTS will prepare students to be successful as they work towards readiness for an out-of-school work plan that is cooperatively developed by the school and the employer.
Education, Experience and Certification
• Bachelor’s degree in education, special education or related field is required
• Three years of teaching experience, career education program experience or career coaching is required, preferably working with students with emotional disabilities
• Knowledge of IDEA 2004 and its specific applications to educating students with emotional disturbance and other disabilities
• Transition Special Education Certificate or courses in Transition Special Education is preferred
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) abilities are a plus
Physical, Interpersonal and Cognitive Requirements
• Utilize basic office equipment such as computer, telephone, fax, copier, etc.
• Complete reports and data input while using a variety of computer programs
• Move and carry supplies; light lifting, non-repetitive
• Maintain a professional demeanor and relationship with students, colleagues, families and community partners
• Work positively and collaboratively with others
• Maintain a professional work ethic and meet the standards of professionalism including appropriate dress, attendance and timeliness
• Demonstrate effective time management and organization skills
• Prioritize & plan work activities
• Use time and resources efficiently, set realistic action plans and goals
• Speak clearly and be understood by others
• Read and express thoughts in a written format
• Possess and demonstrate a high level of mental and emotional balance
• Respond quickly and tactfully to crisis situations while using critical thinking to assess problems
• Work with minimum supervision and meet deadlines
• Physically restrain or assist in student restraints
• Possess sufficient mobility to provide program support and manage student behaviors
BASIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Assist with maintaining up-to-date career transition files for each student; develop portfolios, containing required documents for all HS students; Demonstrate knowledge of student’s history and IEP career transition goals
Provide job coaching as a related service to students as indicated on the students’ IEP
Assist with the completion of career development assessments for students at all grade levels; share results with students, parent, guardians, multi-disciplinary team members and appropriate agency representatives
Use job supervision, observation and assessment tools to determine students’ needs and adjust placements, behaviors and practices to accommodate those needs; help evaluate students’ readiness for job placement and high education, document and share modifications based on data, reflection and feedback
Assist Career Education Teach to provide career and transition services to all students by helping to organize career and transition related activities to increase students’ awareness of career choices, job opportunities and life skills; assist Transition Program Coordinator with providing job placement services for designated students and developing opportunities for supported work, community service, job shadowing, internships and summer job placements; assist in developing and facilitating working career plans for seniors upon graduation
Demonstrate knowledge of special education laws and regulations; complete required documentation within assigned deadlines including documentation for students’ Individual Transition Plan (ITP)
Demonstrate an understanding of how emotional disabilities impact our students’ behavior and ability to learn; display knowledge of students’ diagnoses and adapts intervention strategies and career counseling accordingly to implement the requirements of the student’s IEP transition plan, complete the IEP transition plan for high school students and to promote student success
Proactively identify and address behaviors that could lead to a crisis, unsafe situations or disrupt the learning environment; model and administer effective and appropriate strategies during a crisis including the participation in restraints when necessary
Work with the school leaders, collaborate in teams, and work with related service providers and student support staff to discuss students’ academic and behavioral progress and plans; assist with providing periodic reports on job placement and career related activities and graduates’ results and outcomes
The CTS will be responsible for providing work-study opportunities and organizing a work plan for students (Maryland students) electing the Career Track graduation completer to earn their two work-based learning credits
Consistently model and implement the organization’s core value and positive behavior intervention system to drive actions and to guide our students to incorporate Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect, and Leadership into positive behaviors while at school
Complies with all Foundation Schools’ policies, rules, protocols and procedures
Completes other duties as assigned
This job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
School Supplies Needed!
Please help to ensure that our at-risk students can start the new school year with the supplies necessary for them to get on the path to success. Donations of all types of new school supplies are needed and welcomed throughout the month of August, including: Pencils Colored Pencils Pens (Blue & Black Ink) Calculators (Including Used TI-84 Graphing Calculators) Notebooks (Composition […]
Special Thanks to Our Partners at Hargrove!
We are so lucky to have been selected by Hargrove, LLC‘s Exhibitor Services and Trade Show Division to be the recipient of their Team Building/Community Service Day! Their team created and donated baskets of classroom essentials, beautified our walls with a TWIRL mural, and did an incredible job overhauling our book room so teachers can easily […]
Redskins Loads of Love!
During the Redskins-Cowboys game yesterday, The Foundation Schools was awarded a grant to from the Washington Redskins Foundation Loads of Love program to put a laundry facility in the school. The generosity of the Foundation will remove one obstacle for our students, so they can build a road to success! Thank you Washington Redskins!
Our 2018 Annual Report is Out Now!
We are so proud of our students’ accomplishments last school year! Click here to view our 2018 Annual Report and read more about them!